Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Debt Free Living Update

I created this blog back in 2012 so that I could begin documenting our preparations leading up to travel. When I say that this lifestyle took years to create, I am not joking. Steve came up with this crazy notion in 2006, but I just got on board in 2012. For 6 years I was completely against it, sometimes even coming to tears over it. I resisted doing anything that moved us in this direction, but he was always sure and always working toward "Operation Freedom" as he called it. Sometimes he referred to it as "Plan A", which usually took the form of "fix up the house and sell it asap" and "throw that junk away". Oh it's funny looking back now, but I really thought he had lost his mind at the time. Those were very stressful transitional years. Stuck between reality and our secret dream that I dared not share with anyone. Finally in 2012, I reluctantly agreed that we should take a chance on it. Why not? It may or may not even fly. It could take years to happen if at all and we do have a safety net in place. Steve does have a nursing license... we can always go back to the burbs, take out a big mortgage and a get a couple of car loans if this whole homeless debt free living thing doesn't pan out. That was the hardest part of it all...just making the commitment to separate ourselves from what seemed a safe worldly life. However, Just 7 short months later...that old life scares me more than living on the lam in strange cities! Travel life has so far proven to be really good for us, so simple and so peaceful. Sure we get tired and I sometimes feel like I'm on the vacation that never ends, but I just thank God for this opportunity. I wish everyone could experience it just once, even for a short time. This life is temporary and I know it won't last forever but today "Operation Freedom" is a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment